Early 1908 picture postcard of Hammond's St. Margaret's Hospital. Small wooden frame houses surround the brick hospital.
Above looking to the east and below, looking toward the west.
St. Margaret's Hospital
is where life began for
many kids growing up in Hammond.
Today the hospital has expanded, engulfing residential areas and commercial establishments.
The hospital that gave birth to so many people now provides medical services to those suffering from toxic poisoning
from Hammond's pollution, victims of violent crimes, and all the other tragedies associated with contemporary urban stress.
The presence of this health facility played a major role in attracting immigrants and others to the Hammond area.
By 1911, St. Margaret's had expanded by building an annex to the west of the original structure.
The home on the east side of the hospital is removed and a power plant is constructed to allow for even greater expansion.
You can tell when O.W. Bodie is the photographer! Quality black and white photo from a glass negative.
Most of the Hammond children born in the 1940s were carried out of this building at St. Margaret's Hospital.