|Early photo of Hammond's State Street with Edward C. Minas department store on the right (south side). Trolley tracks can be seen as part of the public transportation program.|
|This actual 1910 photograph shows a new water tower on top of the Minas building. Long's Hall changes its outdoor advertising from Mail Pouch tobacco to Uneeda Biscuit. The Orpheum Theatre appears on the right and horse drawn buggies are being replaced by streetcars.|
|The Orpheum Theatre appears just west of the E.C. Minas store (with the water tower on top). Looking East at night.|
|Another E.C. Minas photo (looking East). Across the street the Bijou Photoplays (ie., movies) is located in the budding "theatre district."|
Now looking West on State Street toward Hohman Avenue...
The Orpheum Theatre with the marquee "TONIGHT JOHN BAXTERS SONG REVUE" and a small crowd forming to buy tickets. This was the sight of Jean Shepherd's "Leopold Doppler and the Orpheum Gravy Boat Riot." The building at the extreme right of the picture appears in the picture below, near the railroad crossing.
|Here is a familiar sight if you were shopping in Downtown Hammond during the 1950s. Pedestrians walking from State Street west to Hohman Avenue often had to stop and wait for trains to pass through the area. Here an Erie locomotive stops traffic.|