1903 - 1923
Visit the Bijou Theatre now to see
what is playing!
Bijou Theater brought vaudeville, silent films to Hammond
HAMMOND — Many years before
talking motion pictures came to downtown
Hammond, theaters that popped up in the early part of the 20th century
held a fascination for area residents.
In 1913, musical products for theaters were introduced, but not many were ordered. The Bijou was ahead of its time, as the owners installed a Bar-tola, a special-effects instrument operated by a series of on-off switches. A two-octave keyboard placed above the top octave on the piano played bells and chimes.
While the pianist played the bells and chimes with his right hand, he also played the lower octaves of the piano with the left hand.
The Van Sickle family opened another nearby business, Bartola's Theater, which used its namesake instrument. It was around the corner from the Bijou.
Employee Clem Goyke played this first piano-organ until 1925, when he moved on to the Indiana Theater in Indiana Harbor to play a Wurlitzer organ.
Another first for the Bijou was the use of an electric projection machine. This meant no more hand-cranking.
In 1926, the State Theater opened down the street from the Bijou. On Nov. 8,1927, an explosion caused extensive damage to the theater and All Saints Church across the street. According to archives at the Hammond Public Library, an investigation revealed that dynamite with a mercury switch was the cause. It had been set under a chair in the theater.
Eventually, two men were jailed for the crime, and it was rumored that this act of sabotage was carried out by persons associated with a nearby theater, rumored to be the Bijou.